Monday, September 12, 2011

Cassocks, Icons and Pascha Jammies

Sadly, I forgot my camera when we went to get a guardrail for my four-year-old's bed, so my "Wow: doesn't Target sell atrocious clothing for little girls?!" post is going to have to wait...

In the meantime, some musings about iconography and cassock-making. And a picture of the cassock I made for Josh when he was made a subdeacon:

Walking to our respective destinations this morning (the girls and I to a prenatal appointment; Josh to work), I told Josh that cassock-making seems so much more profane than iconography. When he asked me why, the best answer I could come up with was that, whereas the cassock is a mere garment, an icon is supposed to be a "window into heaven." But then, expanding on this, I ran into some trouble. "A cassock," I suggested, "is supposed to veil or hide the man behind it. An icon," I continued, "is supposed to... point to something other than itself." The more I thought about it, the more I realized the two had some underlying similarities: vestments veil the priest, and show forth Christ through him; icons themselves are mere paint and wood, and show forth Christ by drawing the viewer's attention beyond themselves.

Well, there you have it: cassocks and icons. And, while I'm flaunting my sewing projects, here's some clothing for little girls that I don't deem atrocious--their "Pascha jammies," as we call them (made for last year's Paschal Liturgy, when all us crazy Orthodox parents drag our kids to church in the middle of the night!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with your (Josh's?) cassock! If you are open to making more, I'd love to talk to you about it.
    (and I'm definitely enjoying the blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Jen. I would love to make a cassock for you! FB me some details about what you like and don't like, and we'll talk!

    ReplyDelete