Monday, September 5, 2011

Man of Sorrows (Restoration)

This was my first icon. I did it as a gift for my dear friend and spiritual father, the priest of the first Orthodox parish I attended.
What you see here, though, is actually a restoration of that icon, and it took almost as long as the icon itself initially took! (The icon was completed under the instruction of a teacher; the restoration I did alone.) I guess my friend and his family had an infestation of silverfish (!) and they attacked the icon, which I guess makes sense since I use the traditional egg tempera, and not acrylic. Who knew silverfish like egg yolk? Anyway, they took these huge chunks out of it, and I had to restore much of the sankir (flesh) and border. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result, though I can still see some inconsistencies in the paint...

No comments:

Post a Comment