Friday, February 10, 2012

Making Room...

So, growing a baby is hard work, folks. I wish I could say it wasn't, but I've found myself a little tapped-out energy-wise, lately. I keep having ideas for posts (rants, mostly, so you should be happy to be spared!), but the execution is a little trickier. By the time the day is over, I mostly just want to collapse. Although, yesterday evening, rather than collapsing, I participated in a maternity photo shoot, which was incredibly rewarding. (Because what 8-months-pregnant gal doesn't need an ego boost as far as body image is concerned?!)

Seeing the photos reminds me that to be the bearer of new life is an honour--and a beautiful one at that! To think of the pregnant body--mine or another's--in terms of its power and its beauty can sometimes seem strange in our stick-thin-is-in culture. And yet hymns to the Theotokos which, in some translations, praise her for having "hips more spacious than the heavens," remind us of the pure beauty of one's body making room for another, and the unique joy given to women by our Creator.

2 comments:

  1. It's so weird- I actually have more energy postpartum than I did pregnant. I wasn't expecting that. Just before the babies arrived almost all i did was sleep.

    Also, nursing twins is the most incredible weight-loss scheme ever. I am turning transparent. It is gratifying to my vanity, which probably isn't a really good start to Lent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the sleep deprivation inherent to nursing a newborn, I typically have more energy postpartum as well! (I'm really looking forward to that...) As for your gratified vanity, I say you totally deserve a good, enjoyable look in the mirror at your waif-like self after carrying twins for so long! Goodness, what your poor body must have gone through! I say enjoy it. After all, there's always the aging process to kick our vanity in the pants, if childbearing doesn't do it first!

    ReplyDelete